in The Provincial Grand Lodge of Sussex
Site Designed and maintained by Core Digital - www.core-digital.co.uk
The History of Arundel Lodge No. 5822
Freemasonry started in Arundel in the year 1789, when the Lodge of Brotherly love moved down from London after
53 years and became known as the Howard Lodge of Brotherly Love, meeting at the Crown Inn, Arundel.
In the year 1800 the meeting place changed to the Norfolk Arms Hotel and activity lapsed from between the year
1838 to 1859, but revived again in 1891 when the Lodge removed to Littlehampton. No Masonic meetings were
held in Arundel between the years 1891 and 1938.
In that year several local brethren decided to revive Masonry in Arundel, and under the sponsorship of the Howard
Lodge of Brotherly Love No 56, The Arundel Lodge was formed.
The ceremony of consecration took place at the Masonic Temple at Brighton on Friday, 23
The Consecrating Officers were :-
R.W.Bro Major R Lawrence Thornton, C.B.E, D.I.M.A, P.G.D, Provincial Grand Master.
W.Bro. Col. C.R.B Godman, T.D, P.G.D, Deputy Provincial Grand Master.
W.Bro. Sir G.M. Boughey, Bt, C.B.E, P.D.G.D.C , Assistant Provincial Grand Master.
W.Bro A.H. Edwards, Prov.S.G.W.
W.Bro. J.J. Cole, Prov.J.G.W.
W.Bro. Bishop C.J.G Saunders, P.D.G, Chap, Prov. G Chaplain.
W.Bro. F.W.A. Cushman, P.G.D, P.P.S.W, Provincial Grand Secretary.
W.Bro. H.C. Edwards, P.A.G.D.C, Provincial G.D of C.
W.Bro. B. Stevens, Provincial Grand Organist.
The Founder Members Were :-
Rt. W. Bro. P.J. Sproule, P.Dist.G.M (F.A)
W.Bro. A. Cairns, P.P.A.G.D.C
Bro. H.M. Bennett
Bro. W.H. Carver
W.Bro. S.H. Ockenden,
Bro. J.J. Coe
W.Bro. L. Polhill, P.P.G.St.B
Bro. G.A. Gates
W.Bro. Newland Tompkins,P.P.G.St.B
Bro. A. Greaves
W.Bro. H.S. Chamberlain
Bro. W.J. Hatton - Jones
W.Bro. W.B. Heywood-Waddington
Bro. F.C. Hill
W.Bro. H James
Bro. C.H. Hoole
W.Bro. C.H. Mosse
Bro S.R. Martin
Bro. H. Parkin
W.Bro. E.M. West
Bro. I.F. Richardson
W.Bro. A.G. Whittaker
Bro. M.A. Townshend
The first Worshipful Master was W. Bro. A.G Whittaker, who was installed at the consecration meeting. Bro W.H.
Carver was appointed secretary of the lodge and held this office over a period of 24 years except for a short break
to serve as worshipful master, in 1964 he was presented with a token of esteem and honourable membership of the
Another worthy founder of the lodge was W. Bro. F. Selwood, who was elected treasurer in 1941, retired from that
office in 1977 with a token of esteem for his 36 years of service.
The first regular meeting in March 1940, was to approve the “by- laws” of the lodge, as a matter of interest the
broken column collected £1.11.5p and the supper at the Norfolk Arms Hotel cost (Three shillings and sixpence!)
In September 1940, due to the war conditions the meeting place removed to the church hall at Littlehampton, The
Home of Howard Lodge of Brotherly Love. The Masonic hall had been requisitioned as a war time first aid post and
continued as such until November 1944.
For this assistance, the Arundel Lodge was most grateful and agreed that the worshipful master of the Howard
Lodge of Brotherly Love and his successors should be honorary members during their year of office.
A large number of items of the lodge furniture were presented by the founders of the Lodge, but in more recent
years new items have been added.
W.Bro. G.J Robinson, P.P.J.G.W. arranged his sister-in–law to embroider a new banner to replace the original and
this was dedicated in april 1965, by V.W Bro. The Rev. C.H. Morse, the then deputy provincial grand master.
From inception until 1983 music was provided by an organ of French manufacture which gave long and valuable
service over many years, but eventually it expired and the present organ was purchased from a bequest from
W.Bro. W.H. Carver, a founder member.
The “G” was presented by W.Bro.G.H Stevens, the “heavy maul” and past masters board by W.Bros.C.J Lewis,
The D. Of C’s batons were presented by W.Bros. C.J Wilde and D.G. Cheeseman, a regular visitor from Selsey
The “miniature trowel” was presented by W.Bro. T. Nixon, of Lodge No 370, Scottish constitution, the lodge with
which a very close relationship has been built up since 1981 and has flourished over the years,
During the period of existence of the Lodge, there have been ninety nine initiates and the present membership is
70 which is drawn from the surrounding area.
The regular meetings of the Lodge have been held on the fourth Friday in January, February (installation), March,
April, September, October, and November.